A pediatric dentist is a dental specialist who treats children from infancy through adolescence. They have completed an additional two to three years of specialized training after dental school to provide comprehensive care for their young patients.
Pediatric dentists are responsible for the oral health of children, including preventive care, routine checkups, and treatment of any dental problems. Check the core services you can expect at your pediatric dentist in Singapore on this page: https://andental.sg/kids-dentistry/.
When should you see a Pediatric Dentist?
Most parents take their children to see a pediatric dentist around their first birthday or within six months of the eruption of their first tooth. However, it is never too late to take your child to the dentist, and even adults can benefit from seeing a pediatric dentist.
There are instances when you should see a pediatric dentist in Singapore even if your child does not have any dental problems. You should take your child to the dentist for a checkup at least twice a year or more if they are at increased risk for dental problems. Some of the factors that may increase your child’s risk include:
- Early childhood caries (tooth decay): One of the most common dental problems in children, early childhood caries can cause extensive tooth damage and even loss. Pediatric dentists are experts in treating tooth decay and can help you prevent it from occurring.
- A cleft palate or other congenital defect: Children with cleft palates or other congenital defects may require specialized care from a pediatric dentist. This care can include preventive measures and treatment for any dental problems that may occur.
- A history of trauma or extensive orthodontic treatment: Children who have experienced trauma to their teeth or have had extensive orthodontic treatment are also at increased risk for dental problems. A pediatric dentist can provide specialized care to help minimize these risks.
- A poor diet: Children who eat a lot of sugary foods and drinks are more likely to develop tooth decay. A pediatric dentist can help you create a healthy diet for your child and teach them how to brush and floss their teeth properly.
If you are ever in doubt about whether or not your child should see a pediatric dentist in Singapore, don’t hesitate to call and ask. The staff at your local pediatric dental office will be happy to answer any of your questions.
What Type of Treatments do Pediatric Dentists Provide?
Pediatric dentists provide a wide range of preventive and therapeutic care for children’s teeth and gums. This care includes:
- Regular checkups and cleanings: By providing routine checkups and cleanings, pediatric dentists can help prevent dental problems from developing. They can also identify and treat any problems early before they have a chance to cause further damage.
- Fluoride treatments: Fluoride is a natural mineral that helps to protect teeth from decay. Pediatric dentists often provide fluoride treatments to help keep teeth healthy.
- Dental sealants: Dental sealants are a plastic coating applied to the chewing surfaces of molars. They help protect teeth from decay and can also be used to treat early childhood caries.
- Restorative treatment: If your child experiences dental problems, pediatric dentists can provide a wide range of restorative treatments, including fillings, crowns, and braces. These treatments can help restore your child’s oral health and improve their smile.
- Orthodontic treatment: Pediatric dentists are experts in orthodontics and can provide specialized care for children with crooked teeth or other dental problems.
Pediatric dentists also offer a range of educational programs to help parents and children learn about good oral health habits. They can also provide advice on how to care for your child’s teeth at home.
How do you choose a Good Pediatric Dentist?
Choosing a pediatric dentist is important, but finding one can be daunting. Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a pediatric dentist in Singapore for your child:
- The dentist’s qualifications: It is important to choose a dentist who is qualified to treat children. Pediatric dentists have completed an additional training program in pediatric dentistry and are specifically qualified to care for children’s teeth.
- The dentist’s office hours: Many pediatric dentists offer evening and weekend appointments to accommodate busy families. Depending on your schedule, you may want to choose a dentist who offers late hours or weekend appointments.
- The dentist’s location: It would help if you choose a dentist who is located close to your home or work. This will make it easier to get to appointments.
- The dentist’s fees: Pediatric dentists often charge the same fees for routine care, such as checkups and cleanings, as adult dentists. However, they may charge more for specialized treatments, such as braces. You should ask the dentist about their fees before making an appointment.
- The dentist’s personality: You should choose a dentist who you feel comfortable with. The dentist’s office staff should also be friendly and helpful.
What Should I do if my Child has a Dental Emergency?
If your child experiences a dental emergency, you should immediately call the dentist’s office. Many pediatric dentists offer emergency care for their patients. The dentist’s office staff can provide you with instructions on how to care for your child’s teeth until you can get to the office.
If you are not sure whether or not your child has a dental emergency, you can call the dentist’s office for advice. They can help you determine whether or not your child needs emergency care.
Pediatric dentists provide a wide range of preventive and preventive care for children’s teeth and gums. They can help prevent dental problems from developing and treat any problems early before they have a chance to cause further damage. Always consult your pediatric dentist for advice on how to care for your child’s teeth at home.
At An Dental, we provide quality orthodontic care for children and adolescents in a fun, friendly environment. We offer a variety of treatment options, including braces and Invisalign, and we work with a variety of insurance providers. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. Call: 6513 9549.
An Dental | Dentist Orchard
360 Orchard RD, #03-06/07 International Building Singapore 238869
+65 6513 9549