Dental caries is a prevalent oral disease worldwide. Early detection is the key to a successful treatment in restoring your tooth and saving yourself from extractions. Diagnodent is a revolutionary innovation in the field of dentistry that aids in the early detection of caries much more accurately than dental X-rays.
The dentist in Aurora utilizes Diagnodent for detecting caries since it is safe, easy, and effective. It accurately identifies even the smallest lesion within your tooth.
An insight into Diagnodent
Diagnodent is an advanced and modern laser-assisted device for the early detection of caries. It can effectively spot even the smallest lesions at the earliest stage without having to scrape, probe, or open up the affected tooth. Over the past decades, Diagnodent has been considered to be over 90% accurate when compared to dental examinations and X-rays.
The principle behind Diagnodent
Diagnodent is a safe, simple, effective, and painless way of identifying caries. It consists of a hand-held, pen-like device or probe connected to a monitor. This probe emits laser light into the tooth to measure the internal fluorescence. The laser operates at a specific wavelength and uses two-way optics to calibrate the amount of light reflected out of the tooth. The readings are recorded on the monitor. The higher the reading, the greater the level of tooth decay.
The readings are generally interpreted in a numerical range, such as:
- 10 to 15: No cavity detected
- 15 to 30: Preventive care recommended
- 30 and up: Extensive treatment recommended
Potential benefits of Diagnodent
Diagnodent is a revolutionary diagnostic tool for caries that is gaining momentum, due to the following benefits:
- Exposes caries at an early stage
- Does not involve scraping or opening the tooth
- Facilitates increased precision for dentists to perform treatment with confidence
- Allows investigation of suspicious areas
- Safe and painless
- Provides accurate results
- This prevents the need for future dental procedures
- No exposure to radiation involved in X-rays
- Less time consuming
The procedure involved while using Diagnodent
The steps involved in using a Diagnodent are as follows:
- Your dentist will isolate the suspected tooth with a rubber dam to control moisture, which can lead to false positive results.
- The Diagnodent is switched on, and the probe is carefully held over the tooth. The device is moved near the occlusal (chewing) surfaces, the interdental (between the teeth) areas, the buccal/labial surface, and the palatal/lingual surface.
- The readings are recorded on the monitor, and the results are interpreted accordingly.
Diagnodent is a laser-assisted inspection device utilized for the early detection of tooth decay, especially the ones hidden. Such revolutionary diagnostic tools have been gaining popularity in the prevention of further damage, thereby enhancing your oral health.